The Give’r Project is about having fun, challenging ourselves and staying healthy while supporting people facing cancer and their families.
Register here: https://p2p.onecause.com/giverproject/home
We are cyclists, runners, swimmers, dancers, walkers…Canadians of all kinds just giv’n’er toward our vision of a world free from cancer. Some of us are committing to athletic challenges like riding, running, swimming, or walking until we reach that bold vision. Get Creative! Commit to learning a new language …or commit to your donors to lose that pesky 15 lbs and begin eating healthier. Whatever you choose, only the money that we raise for those facing cancer matters.
Launched during the pandemic when countless fundraising events have been cancelled, Give’r Project is a platform for Canadians to challenge themselves while supporting cancer research and the life-changing work that goes on at their local cancer centre. When you register you can direct your funds raised to any of Alberta’s regional cancer centres…from the large primary care centres at the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton and the Tom Baker Cancer Centre to our 15 other regional cancer centres in Red Deer, Fort McMurray, Hinton, Grande Prairie, Lethbridge and more.
Similar to other Peer2Peer fundraising events you are familiar with, we’re all agreeing to challenge ourselves in a new way. Starting April 12th, 2020, the 40th anniversary of Terry Fox’s Marathon of Hope, Team Give’r began our commitment to cover 8,000 kms cycling, running, swimming and walking…either together or on our own. This was the planned distance of Terry’s cross-Canada odyssey beginning in 1980…cut short by lung cancer. If you want to join us just register with STRAVA, join the club Team Give’r, and start moving!
Get creative and personalise your Give’r Project. It’s meant to be inclusive of everyone…young and old and athletes and non-athletes alike. Whatever you choose, let your donors know you are committing to a challenge to honour their support for this cause that affects us all at a time when the funding is needed more than ever.
What’s your Give’r Project?
The 2021 Boobs, Balls, & Beer Calendar’s mission is to aim awareness and share resources for mental health, men’s health, breast cancer and cancer support awareness. 50% of the proceeds raised will benefit the Alberta Cancer Foundation. Calendars will be available November 1 by visiting Xhale Brew Co website – coming soon!
The Albertans Helping Albertans Virtual 5K is a virtual, province-wide fundraiser that raises funds for the 17 Alberta Health Services cancer centres.
You can participate by joining a team or as an individual and committing to run or walk 5k! You will also choose which cancer centre you would like raise funds for- from Fort McMurray, to Red Deer to Lethbridge.
The Albertans Helping Albertans Virtual 5K is a fun and safe way to practice social distancing while supporting fellow Albertans facing cancer. Whether you are an avid runner whose previous events with the Foundation have been postponed or cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions, a beginner debuting your running career, or an Albertan wanting to walk to make a positive difference in your community, this event is suitable for all ages. You can participate by running on a treadmill or on your favourite path while practicing social distancing!
This virtual event can take place anytime between May 1 – May 31, 2021.
Learn more, and sign up today at albertacancer.ca/virtual5k/
Mary will be doing a 25 kilometer walk in her neighborhood to raise funds for breast cancer research at CCI. This will be her 12th year fundraising for breast cancer. She has previously taken part in the Weekend to End Breast Cancer, Bust A Move and has been doing an individual 25 km walk to raise funds.
WHAT IS PUTTING FORE A PURPOSE?
This new virtual fundraising initiative is open to all Albertan residents looking to support Albertans facing cancer, while enjoying a round of golf with their friends this August. Think of it as a month-long social distanced golf tournament for a good cause! There are two ways you can participate:
- Day of Golf: We have partnered with various Alberta golf courses, who will be dedicating a Day of Golf to drive awareness and raise funds for the Alberta Cancer Foundation.
- Virtual Golf Initiative: You and your group can designate a round of golf at a course of your choosing, by pledging a donation in support of Albertans facing cancer.
Whether you dedicate a round through our Virtual Golf Initiative, or participate in one of our partnering courses Day of Golf events, the rules are simple:
- Book a tee time and pay your green fee as you normally would.
- Register on our official site (still to come) and make a recommended donation of $50 or over per golfer.
- If you sign up through a Day of Golf – you will be given your bag tag and a golf cart flag at the course, to show you are golfing for Albertans facing cancer. If you are joining the Virtual Golf Initiative and would like a bag tag, we can arrange to have those delivered to you at home.
- Print off an official “Putting Fore a Purpose” score card and submit your round via social media to be eligible for various prizes using #puttingforeapurpose.
- Play a fun round of golf. Coordinate a group of your favorite golfers and set up challenges to create some friendly completion. If you want to get real competitive, challenge each person to pledge an extra donation for lost balls, mulligans, double bogies or highest net score.
- Check out our Albertans Helping Albertans silent auction (still to come), open from August 1st – 31st, 2021, highlighting Alberta’s tourism industry and bid on unique experiences to support the beauty of our province and all it has to offer.
By registering a corporate group in our virtual golf initiative, you can practice physical distancing while getting out on the links, and making a difference in your community. Considering working with one of our public course partners to book a group of tee times to bring your employees together in a restriction-friendly way. Host a series of challenges to raise funds and create some friendly competition among your staff and stakeholders.
Welcome to the Alberta Cancer Foundation Golf Classic
Golf Committee Co-Chair – Kham Lin, Tom Crist
Committee Members – Dallas Crist, Robbie Crist, Larry Knorr, Audra Rawlinson Ford, Rose Viscount
In 2016, the longstanding Don LaBerge Memorial Golf Classic joined forces with the Golf for the Cure in memory of Janice E. Crist. The tournament was a huge success and raised $50,000 for the Patient Financial Assistance Program to make life better for Albertans facing cancer. Together these tournaments joined forces with the Alberta Cancer Foundation to kick off the 1st Annual Alberta Cancer Foundation Golf Classic in 2017. With the help of our supporters and generous donors, over $830,000 net has been raised for patients facing cancer across the province.
The Alberta Cancer Foundation Golf Classic supports the Patient Financial Assistance Program, a program that gives financial support to patients and families facing cancer, so that they can focus on what matters most – healing.
Visit: albertacancer.ca/acfgc for more information.